Yes, I know. Decimal points on a multi-part series is silly, considering that the decimal point is actually a part unto itself. I digress. My reason for doing this is simple, really. I’m working on part three, but haven’t finished testing connections yet. So technically, this should be part four…maybe, I don’t know.

Last night, while watching my son at his karate class, I opened up Gadget, by Korg and worked up a sequence for use with my Volca tests. I only did four tracks because I wasn’t sure if I could transmit MIDI messages to the Sample from Gadget. That will be a separate test and blog post altogether.

I chose Gadget because I wanted to keep it in the family. Well, that, and since Gadget can transmit and receive MIDI, I thought it would be the perfect app to use for driving the Volcas. Basically, I used a separate track for each Volca, using gadgets that related to corresponding machine(i.e. The Chicago gadget for the Bass). The minor problem I ran into was that there really wasn’t a suitable match for the Volca FM, so I just used a polyphonic synth as a placeholder for programming purposes.

These four tracks represent the MIDI tracks that will be sent to the Volcas.

These four tracks represent the MIDI tracks that will be sent to the Volcas.

Once a laid out some sounds, I started to program the sequence. Now, I have two options here, both of which I’ll try. One, I just use the gadgets to program the sequences and transmit data only. The sounds from Gadget itself would be used only as reference while programming and would not be heard in the actual performance. The other option is that I could also run an audio out from the iPad and blend the Gadget sounds with the Volcas to create some complex and multidimensional sounds. When I make the performance video, I’ll do one of each and see what happens.

That’s all I have for today. Stay tuned for part three(four) coming soon.

Until then, happy apping!